Tony A. gave a talk, recorded Feb. 25th, 1991 in Orlando, Florida at the 7th Annual National Convention of Children of Alcoholics. The talk was given at an optional support group meeting before the main conference began. During this recording Tony briefly explains his version of the 12 Steps of ACoA. However, by the time Tony was making this presentation, ACA had already approved their “official” version of the 12 Steps in 1984 at a Business Conference. Tony didn’t get his version of the steps completed and presented to the fellowship until 1991 when he published his book. Also, with the steps being presented through his book, along with his Laundry List of 14 characteristics of ACoA’s, they were and still are under copyright protection.
The original source for this steps list is Tony’s book The Laundry List. This book being out of print you have to work to find the book and or the 12 Steps as Tony wrote them. I finally found a copy on http://www.guesswhatnormalis.com/2007/09/the-other-step-.html
You might check out their website to see some of the other great resources they have there!
Also, I have been working on adding what Tony said in his book, The Laundry List about each of his steps. You can find this on the pages for each individual step.
The way that I am doing this is putting Tony’s step, then what he said about it and next is the comparable Alanon step and eventually I will put what Alanon says about their step.
Hopefully, by looking at each one individually and then blending the two it will be helpful in figuring out what each of the steps is about and how to work with them. Leave me a message and let me know if you like the idea or think it is stupid…. lol… not that that will stop me… but it could start a great discussion… Later, Lexxie
*If anyone holding a current legitimate copyright, has issues with this or anything else from the book, The Laundry List being copied on this blog, please contact me directly and I would be happy to discuss this with you. I have attempted to find the legitimate copyright holders, however with the anonymity of the 12 Step program I have been unable to locate them.
Tony A’s 12 Steps of Recovery
The Laundry List
by Tony A with Dan F
Health Communications, Inc.,
1. We admitted that we were powerless over the effects of living with alcoholism and that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could bring us clarity.
3. We made a decision to practice self-love and to trust a Higher Power of our understanding.
4. We made a searching and blameless inventory of our parents because, in essence, we had become them.
5. We admitted to our Higher Power, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our childhood abandonment.
6. We were entirely ready to begin the healing process with the aid of our Higher Power.
7. We humbly asked our Higher Power to help us with our healing process.
8. We became willing to open ourselves to receive the unconditional love of our Higher Power.
9. We became willing to accept our own unconditional love by understanding that our Higher Power loves us unconditionally.
10. We continued to take personal inventory and to love and approve of ourselves.
11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with our Higher Power, praying only for knowledge of its will for us and the power to carry it out.
12. We have had a spiritual awakening as a result of taking these steps, and we continue to love ourselves and to practice these principles in all our affairs.